When a chef makes a good chowder, the aroma can make anyone in the room hungry. People often find themselves lured into the room just from the wonderful smell. However, chowders are often a poor choice for those who are interested in losing some weight . Many people who are on a diet often choose a broth based soup when interested in eating some healthier and forgo the traditional chowders.
Here is a recipe for a delicious corn chowder that is high in flavor, but a little better for the waistline. Instead of using heavy cream in this chowder, two cans of creamed corn are used. Though it is still has some fat with the bacon and the creamed corn, the fat content is still significantly reduced because milk is used instead of heavy cream. The chowder thick due to the addition of the creamed corn.
This recipe is very easy to prepare and can be done in a very short time. It can be served in right away or left in the refrigerator overnight to strengthen the flavors. If having guests, it is a wonderful choice as it can be prepared ahead of time and all of the attention and time can be spent with the guests when they arrive.
If there more time available to prepare the meal, consider grilling four ears of corn cutting the corn off of the cob. The “roasted” flavor really is a significant addition to the recipe.
- 5 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons of margarine
- 3 medium onions
- 4 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 7 red potatoes
- 2 cans of creamed corn
- 2 cans of corn
- 1 cup of 2 percent milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- splash of Tapatio or Tabasco
- Fry the five slices of bacon until crispy and let cool. Break the bacon slices into little pieces and set aside.
- Dice the onions and dice the red potatoes (it is okay to leave the skins on). In a large pot, saute the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the chicken broth and once the broth boils, add the red potatoes. Let simmer until the potatoes are tender. Open the cans of corn and creamed corn. Drain the water out of the cans of corn (not the creamed corn) and add all four cans into the pot. Add the crumbled bits of bacon to the pot as well.
- Add the milk, the hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Let the chowder simmer for 10 minutes and either serve right away or put in the refrigerator to serve later that day or the next day.
What to Serve With the Chowder
Corn chowder can be served as hearty lunch, an appetizer for dinner or even as the main entree in a meal. If serving the chowder for a meal, consider serving corn bread as it is a great accompaniment to the chowder. When preparing corn bread, consider adding one quarter cup of low fat sour cream as it adds great flavor to the bread and it keeps it moist.
The hardest part is to find cat urine repellent that really works.
What do you think about the best beard growth product? Does it really worth it?